Heavy Metal Haven

The Open Minded Metal and Hard Rock Forums
It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 09:00

Welcome
Welcome to Heavy Metal Haven!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Haiduk - July 2012
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 11:34 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 152 time
Highscores: 10

Haiduk is a one man death metal act from Canada. Luka Milojica is the brain behind the project and he’s kindly agreed to do an interview with Heavy Metal Haven’s Adam following the recent release of his debut full-length album, Spellbook, on July 18th 2012.

First off, many thanks for agreeing to this interview and congratulations on the release of your debut full-length, Spellbook.

Thank you.

Let’s start off with a little bit about the project. When did you start Haiduk and who were your influences for doing so?

Haiduk was created in 2009 to be the outlet for my music and ideas which go back much further than that. I admired good songwriting and rhythm-guitar over everything else so my earliest influences were guys like Mustaine, Jon Schaffer, Galder. In terms of deciding to go ahead as a solo-project, I think it was originally artists like Burzum and Vintersorg who showed that it could be done.

Tell us about the band name.

A “hajduk” in Serbian, which is my background, is a resistance fighter who retreats into the forests in times of enemy invasion and continues to fight. It’s a common word across southeast Europe and can have varied meanings from place to place.

Was Haiduk always intended to be a one-man band?

Yes. I prefer to be able to control every aspect of the music I make.

I understand that despite being the sole member of Haiduk you have played some live gigs. How has the live experience been for you?

It’s great. The drums, bass, and some backings are played through the PA and I do guitar and vocals. It’s interesting and most people have never seen a show like it before, but as one person it can be tough to match the energy of a full band on stage, so I usually prefer to be the opening act.

Have you ever considered putting together a full band just for live performances?

It’s a possibility.

Moving onto your debut album, Spellbook sounds a lot faster and aggressive in the riff department to me compared to your 2010 demo Plagueswept, how would you say your sound compares between the two releases?

It’s like two different bands! “Plagueswept” was a collection of my older, slower, experimental material with some songs written as far back as 7 years before the release. “Spellbook” was written in about a year and it’s all new material.

What inspired the change of direction?

When I started writing “Spellbook”, it was a clean slate. I could take it in any direction I wanted, and since I had been getting way more into swedish thrash and technical death and extreme metal, I decided to make it as fast, heavy and aggressive as I could!

I understand that Spellbook is a concept album, care to tell us a little bit about it?

I’ve always been into fantasy books and games and am especially attracted to themes of magic and sorcery. I drew a parallel between magic and music and in some ways started to emulate the ambitious and studious nature of some of the mages I would read about.

Is there any particular track from the album that you would highlight as a personal favourite?

Right now, probably “Maelstrom”, but it could change, it usually changes over time....

For the musicians now, what can you tell us about your writing process and equipment used to record the album?

When starting a new song, I pick the tempo and key it will be in, then start writing riffs in that style. Then take the best riffs and arrange them, while adding backing guitars, vocals, and other changes. For “Spellbook”, I went into a studio instead of self-recording, and that’s another reason for the big difference in sound. I also used different drum software, going with Drumkit From Hell this time, as well as samples from some other drum machines as well.

The artwork of Spellbook has already struck a chord with several of Heavy Metal Haven’s members. What can you tell us about it?

The artwork was done by Gragoth from Luciferium War Graphics. The concept and symbols on the front cover were designed by me. Going clockwise from the top, the 10 symbols correspond to the 10 songs on the album. The pages of the booklet are filled with extensive texts dealing with magic, into which the lyrics for the songs are embedded.

Finally, where can the album be purchased from?

To get the full effect of the “Spellbook”, you have to own the booklet and text that comes with the CD. The CD is available at http://www.haiduk.ca. Digital version is available on itunes and other online stores.

What’s next for Haiduk?

At the moment, live shows and album promotion! Not looking too far ahead.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this interview. We at Heavy Metal Haven wish you all the best with Spellbook. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you.

You can find Heavy Metal Haven's review of Spellbook HERE

You can find Haiduk online at:

Official website: http://www.haiduk.ca
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/haidukmetal
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/haidukmetal
Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/haiduk